You know you are right in the heart of another Australian Summer when you can't step a toe outside barefoot without burning the soles of your feet. Been there?
Hot and sweaty feet are a predisposing factor to developing blisters which is why we always see an increase of bad cases in the clinic over the warmer months so we've put together some tips for treating and preventing them.
TIP #1: LEAVE YOUR BLISTER ALONE
Do not puncture or de-roof a blister unless it is large, painful or likely to be further irritated.
TIP #2: HOW TO TREAT SMALL BLISTERS
- Keep the blister intact if it is small, has no redness, heat or inflammation. The fluid-filled blister keeps the underlying skin clean which prevents infection and promotes healing.
- Cover with a breathable plaster for protection
- Monitor every two days to check it has not deteriorated
TIP #3: HOW TO TREAT LARGE, PAINFUL BLISTERS
- Wipe area with an alcohol wipe
- Sterilise a needle with an alcohol wipe
- Lance the edge of the blister
- Gently squeeze out the fluid to drain (leave roof of blister on top intact to protect underlying skin, this will look saggy once the blister is drained)
- Apply an antiseptic (Iodine) to area
- Cover with a sterile, clean and breathable dressing
- Monitor and check site every 2 day and redress with betadine and a fresh dressing until healed
- Eventually, that bubble of skin will dry and peel away, and the skin underneath will be healed.
TIP #4: USE THE RIGHT PRODUCTS TO PREVENT BLISTERS
Now you know how to treat blisters, here are some products to help prevent them.
- CHOOSE THE RIGHT SOCKS
Socks are SUPER important for blister prevention. Ensure your socks are made from synthetic materials - yes, you heard me right! Spandex and nylon are the keepers! Stay clear from cotton socks! Cotton traps in the moisture causing your feet to perspire and increase your chance of obtaining blisters.
OS1st socks provide:
-360 degrees of blister prevention protection
-Soft moisture wicking fabric to keep your feet fresh
-A barrier to keep you active and pain free
Get the OS1st sock range in-store at our clinics.
- GET COMFORTABLE WITH BLISTER PATCHES
Blister patches are a terrific way to combat your blisters!
Engo blister patches provide comfort with:
-500km blister protection
-Ultra low friction patches
-Easy to stick into your shoe over areas of concern
-Can be used for all areas of the feet
-Do not take up extra space
Our clinics stock the Engo blister range so come into the clinic and we can fit your shoes properly with the patches.
Finally, If you are ever in doubt, need medical attention to get some relief or looking for further advice, please book online into one of our Custom Podiatry Services clinics for a consult and further education on treatment and prevention.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CustomPodiatryServices
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/custompodiatry_/
- LinkedIN: https://www.linkedin.com/company/18627665
- Locations: http://bit.ly/2I4xNp8
- Contact Us: 1300 002 257